CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Forcible Following

It's interesting how God forces us to follow him sometimes because He loves us so much. It's interesting how God treated Lot and his family in Sodom. Sometimes... once we have surrendered ourselves to God and voluntarily placed ourselves in servitude and given him permission to direct our life...he does so. We like to believe that God ALWAYS speaks in a gentle whisper like He did to Elijah on the mountaintop, or that he leads us with gentle nudgings or that he is always the footprint in the sand gently and lovingly caring us. Sometimes, he gently and lovingly drags us kicking and screaming, sometimes He forcibly leads us. There are times when my kids are going against our wishes (perhaps walking towards something dangerous or just being outright rebellious and not going where we tell them) that I will walk over to them, grab them by the wrist, and drag them to where they belong. Turns out that's a godly example.

In Genesis 19:16 it says...."When he hesitated, the men grasped his hand and the hands of his wife and of his two daughters and led them safely out of the city, for the Lord was merciful to them"

Sometimes mercy is forcible.

I think my family is experiencing this and it's quite uncomfortable.

5 comments:

angie said...

I was just reading about how God kicked Adam and Eve out of the Garden out of MERCY. If the human race had eaten from the tree of life and gained immortality in our fallen state, we would be evil forever. I never thought of this. It's no fun being kicked out of our paradise, but I'm so thankful we can trust God's best instead of settling for our good--which isn't so good afterall. Thanks for your post--it made me think more about how God works to protect us even when we are kicking and screaming for our own way!

Richard said...

Awesome Heath!

Pete said...

Heath - you know a little about our struggles in the last 18 months - I can tell you God IS good and though it wasn't any fun, we learned a tremendous amount about God's true love for us and His willingness to step in when we need it most...

Let's do breakfast sometime!

Kevin Mahaffy, Jr. said...

Heath,

Hey bro. I didn't know where else to contact you about your question on my blog, so I'll forcibly do it here. lol! The Book of God by Wangrin goes from Abraham through the Day of Pentecost. Very fun! I espeically loved the NT half, but the entire thing is great.
Kev

Unknown said...

Heath,
Great post Bro'...mercy delivers us
and thanks be to God for that!

"I will trust in the mercy of God forever and ever." Ps. 52:8.

Jay